Saturday, February 20, 2010

Jump starting the week

Thinking about God today. I suppose it’s appropriate – it is Shabbat. Anyway, I just received a book by Abraham Joshua Heschel: The Ineffable Name of God: Man. It’s a collection of poems that this greatest of 20th century Jewish thinkers (though Buber is up there, too), published when he was slightly older then my daughter. I opened it up randomly, and found this piece (on page 31) which really speaks to me. Like I've always said: Serendipity is proof of the divine.

Here it is.

Transmissions flow from your heart to Mine.
Trading, twining My pain with yours.
Am I not – you? Are you not – I?

My nerves are clustered with Yours.
Your dreams have met with mine.
Are we not one in the bodies of millions?

Often I glimpse Myself in everyone’s form,
Hear My own speech – a distant, quiet voice – in people’s
weeping.
as if under millions of masks My face would lie hidden.
I live in Me and in you.
Through you lips goes a word from Me to Me,
From your eyes drips a tear – its source in Me.

When a need pains You, alarm me!
When You miss a human being
tear open my door!
You live in Yourself, You live in me.


Have a good week everyone.

1 comment:

  1. hard not to think of all types of relationships reading this ... thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete